World cocaine market - what is the true cost?
How do you measure cocaine? Is it in sterling or in Euros? Weight or purity? The number of dealers selling it or the number of consumers using it? Or do you measure it by how many people are falling victim to the cutting agents that are used with it? As recent police seizure figures suggest, it is estimated that only 9% of the cocaine currently being distributed in the UK is pure, the remaining 91% is made up from all kinds of chemicals - none of which are known for safe human consumption.
As purity levels decrease, street prices remains steady - the demand is intense and the risks significant. Will this have an impact on how cocaine is used in the UK?